Don’t Worry – 40 is the new 30
It is all in your head.
Turning 40 Freaked me out. It’s as though some part of me thought I’d wake up and find that my life as I had known it would be over. I’d be a middle-aged woman and that would be that.
Well today’s my 41st birthday, and I’m content. Last year this time we were in Maui. While it was as amazing, as I’m sure you’d imagine it to be, I was not at peace. This proved to me that you can be in paradise and still not be at peace. My other big takeaway as I look back on turning 40 is that I’d lost my perspective. 39 was only “a hard year” inside my head.
As I look back it all seems so silly. It turns out that I was the problem. But it also turns out I’m the solution. My fears and projections about turning 40 made me nuts. I tried way too many injections. I did strange things to my hair and didn’t take care of myself. If I could go back in time, I would try to have the attitude that I have today. Here’s what I learned…
So if you’re hitting a mile marker with your birthday, and it’s making your head spin, here are my big takeaways:
- It’s all in your head. You’re going to wake up the next day and feel just like you did the day before, except you’ll be a year older. (My husband actually said this to me and it wasn’t that comforting at the time. But I get it now.)
- Injections are not the answer. I’m not judging! I’ve tried almost all of it with mixed results. They can help if done in small doses, but for me, making my face look totally different just added to my identity issues. My lips have finally gone down. I’m still tweaking with botox and extra collagen (via Sculptra), but I’ve hopefully learned from my experience.
- Learn to work smart, not just hard. I’m still “working” on this. This is more of a goal than a lesson. Maybe it’s a lesson that it’s a goal. 😉 The bottom line is not to let my drive rob me of my joy. It’s not productive.
- Break down big goals into little ones.
- Celebrate all small accomplishments.
- Celebrate where I am today, and don’t let fearful projections rob me of any joy.
- LAUGH every darn day. Find something that tickles that silly part of you. (I’ve been watching Friends on Netflix again as I wind down at night. Just for giggles.)
- Most importantly, remember it’s all in your head.
Outfit Post Details
If you know me, you know I can’t get enough of white dresses. This one’s so cute, and it’s on sale. It’s selling out in a lot of places, so I’ll link several similar options. Have you seen all the designer handbag copies on Amazon for great prices? This is a pre-loved Chloe bag I found on The Real Real, but I’ve got my eye on this exact copy for around a $100.
Sending lots of joy to all of you! Tell me if you can relate? 😉
Cheers to another year on the planet!
Happy Birthday to all June Babies.
shop this post:
White dress HERE or similar HERE | SHOES | BRACELET | EARRINGS | New Bag HERE | Pre-loved HERE or even more affordable HERE
June 26, 2018 @ 3:29 pm
Happy Birthday Beautiful!
June 26, 2018 @ 4:28 pm
Thank you, handsome! 🙂
June 27, 2018 @ 4:25 pm
You are rockin’ that dress! Laughing, especially at myself, has gotten a lot sweeter the older I’m getting 🙂
June 27, 2018 @ 5:42 pm
Thanks so much! I totally agree with you. It’s great to not take myself too seriously 😉
June 28, 2018 @ 12:44 am
Cheers to you on another year older, another year wiser. Thanks for sharing your insight with the rest of us. I’m coming up on 35 this year. Somehow I can convince myself that 34 is still early 30’s. Being solidly mid-30s has a different feel. 🙂 I like your outlook though! Keep up the joy and reflection!
June 28, 2018 @ 9:37 am
You’re most welcome. I know exactly what you’re talking about. 🙂 Been there. And the next five years likely won’t be so bad either, as long as you take care of yourself. Thank you for your visit!
June 28, 2018 @ 12:57 am
I am turning 40 this year. I always thought I’d heard 40 is the new 20, but 30 does sound more mature. I’m not really mature though, at least not yet, unless I absolutely have to be, otherwise I’d rather be carefree and love life. Age only bothers me if I let it. Loved your photos, you look amazing.
June 28, 2018 @ 9:29 am
Hi Tara. Whether it’s the new 20 or 30, I think the bottom line in all this is that age is just a number. And thank you for your kind words and compliments!
June 28, 2018 @ 3:14 am
Great perspective darling. Thanks for sharing with us what you’ve learned. I choose to believe that people, like wine, get better as we age. We just need to make sure that our attitude keeps us from getting sour (!). Happy birthday love. You are beautiful and that outfit is AMAZING on you ❤️
June 28, 2018 @ 9:26 am
Thank you, Evelyn! So sweet!!!
June 28, 2018 @ 2:29 pm
You look AMAZING at 41, Happy Birthday! love the dress!
June 29, 2018 @ 5:37 pm
Thank you, Kim!
June 28, 2018 @ 10:43 pm
I turned 40 in November and I am definitely starting to feel it. You look amazing! Share all your secrets, please.
June 29, 2018 @ 5:36 pm
Hi Heather. That’s what I’m trying to do…little by little 🙂
What Corinne Did
June 29, 2018 @ 2:49 pm
Happy belated birthday! also you look amazing and this outfit is fantastic! Aging is good, it means you are growing and learning!
June 29, 2018 @ 5:36 pm
Aww Thank you so much! 🙂
Gerome of G&D Blog
July 2, 2018 @ 4:43 pm
Belated Happy Birthday! I’m glad to stumble upon your page. And hey, seriously, who cares about age nowadays?! Especially, on your end, 40’s? I didn’t even notice that ’till you started telling your reflection. I’m sure that your energy and the way you see life make you look so young. For sure, we will see the young-looking you for more years. <3
July 4, 2018 @ 9:42 am
That’s so sweet Gerome. Well, as my late grandmother always said, “attitude is everything.” But there are other things that go into the mix as well. 🙂
Thanks for your visit!